Moving to SK from ON!!

Go down

Moving to SK from ON!!

Post  pattymac on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:02 pm

Glad I found this forum. My Mom and I have decided that we need a change of scenery so we're coming to Saskatchewan! I've lived in Ontario for 41 years and I've seen all the back roads around me! So there's me, my mom, my dog Bayley and 3 cats!! So far we've picked Alsask as our place. It's little but that's fine but we're also looking at a few other places. we'll be renting so there's a few other places that look interesting.

If anyone has any personal info on Saskatchewan, it's definately appreciated. I've been on the gov't site and the car insurance site and a few others especially for the towns that we're interested in.

pattymac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to SK from ON!!

Post  Desjardo on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:43 pm

Wow my fiancee and i just moved here from North York! We found it difficult to find info on pets and the area so we started this forum. Where in Ontario you coming from? Insurance is dirt cheap!
Desjardo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pattymac on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:16 pm

Cool, we're coming from Kingston area. I was trying to find a reasonably priced house to rent around here w/o stairs for under $1000.00 hah!! And that takes pets...absolutely nothing!! So I thought ok, let's see what else is out there and I had looked in AB last year but crazy prices and no one wants pets. So I thought ok SK is supposed to be doing well so we'll take a look and I was amazed. My Mom's originally from AB so she is totally game on moving back to the prairies. She also suffers from both types of arthritis and the humidity really gets her joints hurting and the damp winters don't help either.

I have my dog Bayley, Shep/Husky mix! My 3 cats, 2 Maine Coons both rescues and my Manx. The little town we're looking at, I've been corresponding with a lady who has a house for rent, says the town has a 'lil fenced area where the dogs can run for hours and not go anywhere!!' her words and I'm thinking that Ontario little is probably different than SK little!!

It's exciting but pretty scary at the same time..been in Ontario, this area for 41 years! Been across Canada numerous times though and SK was pretty much just another province to get through before getting to the relatives and perogies in Edmonton! My Mom's Ukranian. We plan on coming out in about a week and a half to have a look around.

pattymac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Desjardo on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:00 pm

My wife is also Ukranian along with about 30% of saskatoon I think. Lots of restaurants. Even one called "baba's homemade perogies".
The dog parks here are incredible. I can't speak for outside saskatoon but this city is all about being outside. There is a park withink 10mins walk of every house and about 5 off leash parks. One of which is many acres of riverfront! That would be condos in ontario!
I know very little about the surrounding towns but often wonder what people do for employment in these towns... I gues it depends on your position. But the humididty back home is awful! Although I realized this place really was dry when my eye lids started sticking when I blinked! I use visine regularly now! The winter wasn't that bad. Even in -40 its not as cold as ontario, but it stays at -30 or lower for weeks at a time...
Oh yea - make sure your car has a block heater!
Hope you enjoy sask - If you were here next week you could have checked out the folk festival. Told its huge with the ukrainian community!
I am currently looking for a rental outside the city, within driving distance, but have had little luck. Might break down and buy an acerage in Aberdeen.
Desjardo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pattymac on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:09 pm

There was an acreage on Kijiji about a week ago!! With barns etc, I think it was on the Saskatoon kijiji. Maybe it's still available if you look back a week or two.

pattymac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hummingbird Hollow on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:07 pm

I knew some people who lived in Alsask about ten years ago; and at the time it was a retirement community; an inexpensive place to live and be snowbirds. Dont' know if thats still true though. I think its also the place that had the big bunker for waiting out a nuclear attack?

We are in the Pike Lake area, its a bit cheaper than the south east of the city I think, and I can't say enough about the area. We love it! The county is nice, the drive is a nice road and there is a lot of community involvement. I am on the Pike Lake Community and School Assoc, there is also another community assoc we do a lot with. Vanscoy has their rodeo and fair this weekend if anyone is interested in that.

If your looking at north of the city; I think there are some places that have a lot of flooding problems. Be aware of that if your looking to buy.

Keep in mind that driving Sk highways there are a lot of deer lately. They are out at dusk and if you see one, there are one or two more close by.
Hummingbird Hollow

View user profile http://hbhollow.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Desjardo on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:10 pm

I have seen many deer at the circle attridge area as of late.
And yes that is where the big bunker is but I don't think much else....lol
Hmm maybe I should check pike lake area for rentals....
Desjardo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum