D.O.G.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Australian Shepherd

3 posters

Go down

The Australian Shepherd Empty The Australian Shepherd

Post  neVar Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:03 pm

Yes i'm avoiding paper work at work Smile

The Australian Shepherd.

Does not come in a miniature/toy size *gets off soap box*

Ok now on to the real stuff.

Australian shepherds are not originally from australia. It is believed that they come from the Basque herding dogs. It is believed that then they came to california- and when herders then flocked (hahaha) to australia to work with the sheep the dogs followed there. So they have english, spanish, and well some american and australian in them! References to the "australian" shepherd can be found in the late 1800's in the USA.

Naturally bob tailed 'collies" can be found back to the early 1900's in english texts. At this time the rough collie was coming about to what it is now as well asthe BC. The Working decendant (BC) and the show decendent (rough collie) dveloped away from the merle coloring the belief is because the merle was so 'common' the sable of the rough was sought out for the show ring. These dogs now known as the 'english shepherd" are very similar in type to the aussie.

The australian shepherd herds physically by moving the herd (unlike the BC which eyes the herd and stops motion forward/blocks escapes...) this makes them ideal like the australian cattle dog to be used for the more agressive herds such as cattle and Bison. It also makes them a more dominent dog. Although they are loose eyed they will go to their eye for an especially dominent animal. They do use grip- but restrain using it except for a unrulley animal.

Bitches range in height from 18-21" with Males coming in between 20-23". The standard asks for medium bone and one can usually see lighter bone in a working only line wiht a bit heavier showing in the conformation ring.

So what does that give us? a high energy dog who loves to chill *L* they require a firm hand and good socliazation. They can be reserved so it is very important to get them out and about at all times. They have exceptional work ethic and excell in alot of dog sports.

There is no accepted "miniature" or "Toy" with the ASCA or any other Australian Shepherd registry. The miniatures are often referred to as a "north american Shepherd" and they are registered under the umbrella of the 'rare breeds' in the US.

September 2010 the Canadian Nationals are in SASKATOON!!!!!

The Australian Shepherd Agilityred12The Australian Shepherd Jrsshowing12

You can find more information out on Aussies at www.asca.org or http://www.cnasa.ca/home.htm
neVar
neVar

http://www.RavenwoodTack.com

Back to top Go down

The Australian Shepherd Empty Re: The Australian Shepherd

Post  Hummingbird Hollow Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:27 pm

I have known a few, and they have always seemed a great dog. The ones I knew excelled at agility. I never realized they weren't from Australia though, hmmm -- my bit of trivia for today :-)
Hummingbird Hollow
Hummingbird Hollow

http://hbhollow.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sift Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:27 am

My mom's red and white bitch made it until she was sixteen years old. She was an incredibly smart, highly trainable dog with loads of "common sense".

It's sad that so many people are "wrecking" the breed but nice to see that there are true Aussie enthusiasts still out there. They're a great breed of dog and definitely deserving of recognition as such.
sift
sift

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum