D.O.G.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So I like Saskatchewan!

5 posters

Go down

So I like Saskatchewan! Empty So I like Saskatchewan!

Post  pattymac Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:46 am

So we visited our new house and new landlady. Little town, Alsask, kind of in the middle of nowhere. But, hey there's a gas station/grocery store/Chinese restaurant on the highway. Didn't try the food but the coffee was good. The seniors have a little craft/coffee group going. Lots of room to walk around and let Bayley run. I can also if we decide to make that a more or less permanent home, buy a lot for 250.00!!There's a small lot next to our backyard that I'd like to have to expand the yard a bit. There's a spring with a large pond about 5 min from town. hehe we went to Kindersley to look around and I noticed that the 7-11 is hiring..11.00/hr with benefits. I'm like ok, so how come I have a high stress job (had) that paid me only 10.00/hr with no benefits and a crappy schedule. I asked about the start date for the positions and the girl there asked me when could I start.

Saw lots of wildlife in the area too. When we were leaving the spring, saw two big bucks standing in a field, saw lots of pronghorns too. And it's not flat...more kind of rolling hills and there are trees. We're also right on the Alberta border so we can shop there if we want.

pattymac

Back to top Go down

So I like Saskatchewan! Empty Re: So I like Saskatchewan!

Post  Desjardo Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:27 pm

I was amazed when I got to saskatoon and saw benefits at 7/11 as well. Almost all jobs offer it to get employees here. Amazing!
There are places that have ben hiring since I moved here a year ago!
$250? Wow!
I just got a job with CN so I can start looking at homes in more rural setting as I work everywhere anyway!
Desjardo
Desjardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Hummingbird Hollow Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:57 pm

I'm glad you like Sk, I sure do. Don't be too excited by the $250 lots, its common to see them for $1 in small town Sk - if you see one you want talk to the town hall. They often defer tax for a few years too.

McDonnalds are paying $15/hr, can you beleive it? Tim's too I think, its crazy. Good luck!
Hummingbird Hollow
Hummingbird Hollow

http://hbhollow.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  pattymac Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:11 pm

$1.00!! Wow! I'll have to look into that once we get all settled and I start working. I guess the Walmart in Kindersley will help out with gas costs if you have a ways to drive too. I wouldn't mind working there for a while especially before Xmas, can imagine one could pick up a fair bit of o/t.

pattymac

Back to top Go down

Post  Desjardo Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:56 am

Sounds like you had a great trip.... I am now curious about the area myself..
We are going to start acerage hunting in rural saskatchewan soon. So excited.
I have been amazed with the rates of pay here vs the cost of living. People who lived here all their lives think cost is high but only compared to what it was.(wish I was here 5 years ago) Compared to toronto I now have a full house with yard and detached garage, for the same price as my 1bdrm 6th floor apt in t.o.
And it wasnt any cheaper for apt's in the more northern sections of ontario either.
Desjardo
Desjardo

Back to top Go down

Post  pattymac Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:32 am

Oh, I'm pretty sure the house we're renting if it were in Ontario would be at least 800.00/month! One thing I really noticed is people are sooo much friendlier. Hehe, our landlady is funny. When we arrived she asked ok where's your stuff!! Umm still in Ontario! You mean you drove all the way out here to look!!?? Then she was like, now you're sure you want it, it's ok for you? Yup, it's fine, it's great. There's about 2 stairs inside that go from the mud room to the house, I wouldn't be surprised if they build a little ramp for my Mom so she doesn't have to worry about the stairs. The backyard isn't fenced but she has some fencing and she's going to try and have a pen built for Bayley before we get back. I don't think I've ever had a landlord like that.

pattymac

Back to top Go down

Post  Desjardo Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:59 am

Yeah and that seems to be the way people are here. Ask about one thing and they go over and above to help.
Kijiji has plenty of pens in the area for next to nothing if you need one.
Desjardo
Desjardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Charliehorse Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:31 pm

I'm glad you like it! I moved to Calgary for a few years and then came back. The people are so much nicer and the pace is very relaxed. Sounds like you're really going to enjoy the house; a good landlord really helps.
Charliehorse
Charliehorse

Back to top Go down

So I like Saskatchewan! Empty Re; So I Like Saskatchewan

Post  sharizma Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:40 pm

We moved here from B.C. and really enjoy it. Last winter wasn't so pleasant, but when one has dogs not going out for some fresh air isn't an option, and that's not a bad thing. It's also good for meeting "dog people".
sharizma
sharizma

Back to top Go down

Post  pattymac Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:06 pm

Personally I prefer the colder days to those -10 days where it just feels damp, at least that's the way it is here. Especially before the lake freezes over, then it's just blech. I like days when the snow crunches.

pattymac

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum