D.O.G.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Doberman Pinscher

5 posters

Go down

The Doberman Pinscher Empty The Doberman Pinscher

Post  sift Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:49 am

First off let me say that the list of breeds I love is a loooong one. Staffordshire Terriers, American Bulldogs, Standard Poodles, Giant Schnauzers, Great Danes (especially harlequins!!), long haired mini Dachshunds, Gordon Setters, and so on and so forth. They all have qualities that I completely adore and if I could, I'd have at least one of every one of them!

Despite that, the Doberman Pinscher will always hold the biggest spot in my heart.

It all started with "Sarge", a red Doberman we had when I was very small (3 years old, approximately). He came to us as an adult (he was killing the previous owner's neighbour's chickens) and a better dog I could not have imagined.

He was a big boy, probably weighing in around 90lbs or so, and had the world's worst ear crop. It was a real hack job and it made him look dangerous but that dog didn't have a mean bone in his body... unless you happened to be a chicken or a gopher, that is. Wink People would drive into our yard (we lived on an acreage) and he'd run up to the driver's side door and stare in the window. If they had looked closely they would have seen a very fine tremor in the rear half of his body - it was Sarge's way of wagging his tail - but as it was no one would ever get out of the vehicle to find out that all he really wanted was for you to scratch his head.

Sarge was easily the best family dog I have ever met. The indignities he suffered for his family were countless. Mom tells a story about a time when she came out into the porch looking for me and found me with Sarge's upper lip curled right back over his nose... all the better to pick the tartar off his teeth, you know. He was my devoted companion and a fearless gopher hunter as was so often displayed by on our return (I always carried the gophers home, much to Mom's chagrin).

This devotion and loyalty was present in my second Doberman, a rescue by the name of Taana. While she had problems that stemmed from an early life of abuse she embodied the term "Velcro Dog" and never left my side or line of sight, even when offleash.

A breed that is undoubtedly one of the smartest, most trainable out there, the Doberman makes an awesome companion, working dog, or friend. They're a busy breed and need jobs but also make the best lap dogs I know! Well, depending on the size of your lap, that is. Wink
sift
sift

Back to top Go down

The Doberman Pinscher Empty Re: The Doberman Pinscher

Post  Hummingbird Hollow Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:11 pm

Having been the recipient of a Great Dane sitting on my lap, and also a Newfie I think its safe to say no lap is too small! (Thats my hubby and Bailey in the photo)

Great story about Sarge, thanks for sharing. They are an awsome breed, for sure.

The Doberman Pinscher April4
Hummingbird Hollow
Hummingbird Hollow

http://hbhollow.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Meathead Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:39 am

Aww!! What a big baby! Andy is not allowed on our couches Sad lol
Meathead
Meathead

Back to top Go down

Post  Hummingbird Hollow Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:41 am

Mine aren't either usually; he made an exception this time when he was loving her up.
Hummingbird Hollow
Hummingbird Hollow

http://hbhollow.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Desjardo Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:19 pm

I love Doberman's but have to admit I take more caution when approaching cause I find them to look slightly intimidating. Although that may be what I like about them. Never known one too well personally but would definately like too.
Desjardo
Desjardo

Back to top Go down

Post  sift Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:34 pm

Desjardo wrote:I love Doberman's but have to admit I take more caution when approaching cause I find them to look slightly intimidating. Although that may be what I like about them. Never known one too well personally but would definately like too.

They do have a very intense look. So much so that it actually has a name; it's called "The Look of Eagles" and while I think it's kind of cheesy it's actually quite fitting.

I love their temperaments and their willingness to please. Very Happy
sift
sift

Back to top Go down

Post  neVar Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:46 pm

we have the look of the eagles in horses too.

I love dobies- although i was petrified of anything big and 'scary' looking as a kid- got bit by a GSD and then had a friend who's family dane ripped her face off... (yes literally ripped her FACE off)

Since then We've had two dobies in the barn where i ride- and i loved them both- both which were rescues and both lost young to cancer, and i've had lots of fabulous times with Danes... (used to sit one- loved him!)

had a great time watching the danes and dobies at the dog show this weekend.
neVar
neVar

http://www.RavenwoodTack.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum