D.O.G.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Kijiji People nuts???

+3
Charliehorse
Desjardo
Hummingbird Hollow
7 posters

Go down

Are Kijiji People nuts??? Empty Are Kijiji People nuts???

Post  Hummingbird Hollow Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:57 am

I'd love to have an Afghan Hound. Yes, I know the pro's and con's and what I am getting into. No big rush, but thats the next dog I would open my home to. So, this is something I watch for on Kijiji hoping to find an older dog for less $$. But twice this summer I have seen people trying to sell a year old dog for a lot more money than a puppy. Sure its maybe house trained, but its also had a year of being allowed to do things that may be not the same as how your house is run. Lets face it, if somebody is selling their dog at a year old they are probably having some behavior issues. Especially with a breed that is hard to train and not for the beginner. And a puppy is much easier to train than a dog who has gotten away with something for a year or so already. Ugghh, its so frustrating.

Well thats whats on my mind today. Whats on yours?
Hummingbird Hollow
Hummingbird Hollow

http://hbhollow.ca

Back to top Go down

Are Kijiji People nuts??? Empty Re: Are Kijiji People nuts???

Post  Desjardo Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:15 am

Glad to see some venting. I find it hard to believe when I read adds for older dogs that are being sold as GREAT dogs, or PERFECT dog. Myself I would not be able to give away my dog bad or good, so I just think that there has to be more to these adds. I am sure sometimes there are situations that arise but I have seen adds where the people were more concerned about who got the dog than money. That tells me they care about the dog.
Myself I like the idea of bonding with the puppy and creating that respect that comes with training and just being togethor from the beginning is the best part of having a dog.
Desjardo
Desjardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Hummingbird Hollow Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:21 am

yeah, puppy-breath! Mmmmmm.
Hummingbird Hollow
Hummingbird Hollow

Back to top Go down

Post  Charliehorse Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:11 pm

Yes! They're nuts! I rescued Charlie off of kijiji and I constantly ask what is wrong with these people? You have 3 kids under 6, both of you work and getting a Saint Bernard puppy seems like a good idea? Then you're surprised that it turns out to be big and need walks and brushing? And you decide you don't want it in your house so you'll let him live outside in your back yard through the coldest winter on record? Neglect doesn't even begin to describe the mats behind his ears that were bigger than my hands. I grew suspicious about the amount of exercise they were giving him when he dropped 40 lbs in the first 3 months we owned him. Turns out they weren't walking him 3 miles a day like they said. I lucked out and got an absolute gem of a dog, but don't even get me started on the whole kijiji thing...
Charliehorse
Charliehorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Hummingbird Hollow Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:10 pm

we have a Saint boarding here right now, what a sweetie he is. I can't imagine not thinking any dog wouldn't be work, but one this size? Sad to think how some people are.

Guess I really was venting earlier, sorry! I just can't beleive some people and I can't understand the thinking. It really is sad that there are so many unwanted dogs, but at least with Kijiji its an easier way to rehome them instead of sadder endings. Geeze when we had to move to S'toon we ended up buying a house right away simply because we wouldn't be able to rent with the troop we had. Everyone thought we were nuts not to rent first and take our time buying but that wasnt' an option in my books.
Hummingbird Hollow
Hummingbird Hollow

Back to top Go down

Post  keno Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:58 pm

I agree with you people. I recently moved to Saskatoon area and bought a house right aways too. My dog is part of the family and getting rid of her to rent a place was not even an option. Way to go!
keno
keno

Back to top Go down

Post  Charliehorse Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:34 pm

Yay! More people who have discovered that dogs are mobile and can move with you! You don't have to give away your dog because you moved, had a kid or got a divorce!
Charliehorse
Charliehorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Charliehorse Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:10 am

Hummingbird, your venting is nothing compared to this rant on the link below. I found this on once of my favorite websites and was incredibly inspired by it. It's about craigslist, but kijiji is the same kind of deal. Craigslist has a policy against selling animals, so they try to get away with calling it a "rehoming fee". I hope you enjoy this little gem as much as I did!

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/1186113851.html
I've pasted it below. The only point I completely disagree with it that dogs are, in fact, magical.

Pet Ad Translations
Date: 2009-05-23, 9:47PM PDT

Puppy’s = PUPPIES
puppie = PUPPY
Applys = APPLIES
rare = degenerate
photo of dogs in a chicken-wire cage = I’m a BYB who’s too cheap to buy a kennel
they’re 6 weeks old…(or anything under 8 ) = Unless you have proof that the vet has OKed their separation from their mother (and by all means, state that in your ad if you do), your sale is ILLEGAL in the state of California
Mom is an X, Dad is a Y = I knowingly or accidentally bred these dogs. Either way, you’re not “re-homing” them. You’re finding their first home, and that’s a sale unless you are a 501(c)3
The litter was accidental, I’m not a breeder, it’s not my fault = Unless you happened to purchase/adopt a pregnant pooch, there’s NO SUCH THING as an accidental litter. It’s called negligence when you NEGLECT to spay and your dog unwantingly has puppies. Even if the neighbor’s superdog happened to get under/over your fence. Your own damn fault.
Don’t flag my ad = There’s an obvious reason to flag
OBO = I don’t care enough about the dog to find a good home, I just need money and need it fast
I’m downsizing my home, I am moving and can’t take with = I’m too cheap/inconsiderate to look for a place for my dog/cat
post in every city = I’m desperate because no one wants my backyard bred dog
purebread = PUREBRED (Unless for some strange reason your dog is white or wheat)
My kid became allergic, I’m having a baby and can’t keep my X month old puppy = You didn’t do your research and now a poor dog has to suffer. Ignorant.
For Sell = FOR SALE
Saleing = Selling (also, not allowed)
Dog is Hypo-Allergenic…You can have this dog if your kids have allergies!! = Listen, there’s NO SUCH THING as a hypo-allergenic dog. The allergens live in the skin (or saliva), not the hair. So get your kids tested, and make sure that if there’s a concern, you take the dog on a TRIAL basis. A respectable breeder and rescue would honor that request. Also, while poodles don’t shed much, they do shed some. Like humans, you shed cells, hair… Dog’s aren’t magical.
ask about re-homing fee, email for more info = I’m charging $500 + and am too chicken to post it on here
I can’t respond to emails = Well then how the hell did you post? / There shall be no proof of my misdemeanors
AKC/CKC registered = I paid a bit more so that you will pay a helluva lot more and think that it means the dog is quality (if you went to the AKC website you’d realize that any dog listed ask AKC registered that is up for sale is supposed to come with a specific disclaimer attached… but you already knew that didn’t you?)
Chiwawa, Chichuachua, Chiuaua, and the best one, Chichuaga = CHIHUAHUA
Doxon = You don’t know anything about the breed you’re trying to sell
part Datsun= Perhaps it’s a Japanese mixed breed. Hopefully it has low mileage.
-ipoo, -doodle, pom/x, and other crazy mixes = I’m trying to make it sound like a designer breed, even though it was really an accident/bred for quick $$ without considering the individual qualities of the breeds I mixed
wanted, X breed dog for cheap or free = #1, how about you do a petfinder.com search, or even a google search for local breed clubs. #2, use the ‘wanted’ section of CL where it’s also not allowed to post requesting animal sales fyi, #3 most of you sound like you should never own a dog, let alone the breed you’re asking for
I want $1000+ for my puppy = I live on another planet
I’m selling my …. = I can’t read the craigslist rules
I will pay you to rent your dog to mate with my dog = Again, can’t read the craigslist rules
thanks for flagging, you’re just helping me = This is my last attempt to get flaggers off my back / I’m panicking
All rescues suck = I’m a breeder / I was rejected by a rescue / I make gross generalizations without research
doesn’t have shots / not spayed/neutered = I’m too cheap of a breeder to do it myself, so on top of a $300 ‘re-homing’ fee I expect you to do it yourself
I need to re-home my 8 week old puppy. I’m not a breeder. = 8 weeks is the minimum age you can sell a dog unless you have vet approval. If you have to re-home an 8 week old dog, you’re an @$$#@!E or a breeder. Either way, you fail.
“Get rid of” = I can’t even pretend I care
kitten wanted/looking for kitten to adopt=i’m too lazy to look at a single craigslist page and therefore haven’t noticed the dozens of ads for kittens posted nearly every day.
i’m having a baby and can’t keep my cat= what exactly do you think that your cat is going to do to a baby? even if your kitty is temperamental, overly rambunctious, or has a fondness for sleeping on people’s faces (a potential hazard around an infant); unless your cat is superkitty it shouldn’t be too difficult to close her out of the baby’s room–and the rest of the time one can assume that baby is under your close eye.
I want to trade my… = I have a short attention span and lack a heart. I treat my pets like baseball cards.
flaggers are bored, loser, lame, lop, nothing else better to do, spouseless, kidless, jobless (unless CL hired them), petless, no social skills besides those applied to flagging/ranting/raving, most likely P.E.T.A advocates. = If flaggers are worthless and have no friends, pets, etc… why are your panties in a bunch about them. If they don’t matter to you, you aren’t showing it. By the way, I’m a flagger. I have a job that pays pretty darn well. It gives me the time to come home, play with my pups (multiple) and take them to the dog park, network professionally and socially when applicable, was voted onto homecoming court and best personality way back when, participate in volunteering efforts, have friends globally, and don’t have any interest in PETA. I’m curious where you’re getting your facts… try taking a ‘flagger’ poll. I guarantee you there’s no one type of person that flags posts. Seems you fit into that lovely category of ‘gross generalizations’.
Charliehorse
Charliehorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Hummingbird Hollow Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:40 am

LOL, Boy, they sure were ranting weren't they. Some of the ads are unbeleivable though! I have noticed a few lately for puppies over $1,000 !!! And I don't think its because its an exceptional show quality puppy from parents that have become champs; but more because they hope to make a bundle having rare breeds of dogs!

Thats not to say that qualified breeders don't earn what they get for a litter. Breeding dogs isn't very profitable if done right. A lot of heartache and late nights; and money spent on a variety of things. And lets face it; if nobody bred dogs in ten years we would be a dog free society .

BYB are a sad part of our population; and anyone with any compasion would like to shoot them all! Kijiji has both types of breeders advertising. I think its also nice that they can adverise because it keeps the costs down, gives a nice option besides the pound, and makes it easier to find a good breeder if you looking for one. You just have to have some brains and avoid the wrong places. Kijiji has done me well for kenneling this summer.

I find it suprising that people will try to sell a year old dog for more than they paid for the puppy. Maybe if it has been very well trained, is showing some wonderful potential to excel at something; or is getting some points from shows --- something like that. But to keep a dog for a year and then say its worth more?????? Oh well, if she were to offer it for a realistic price I would consider rehoming it; but its probably better for us to wait till the spring and consider a puppy anyways. -- actually its best if I give my head a shake and say no more dogs, but........
Hummingbird Hollow
Hummingbird Hollow

Back to top Go down

Post  sift Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:09 pm

I have no problem paying for a dog that is over $1000 as a puppy... when that $X includes (in the case of a Doberman); docked tail, dewclaws removed, ear crop, genetic testing, CKC registration, microchip, champion parents with hip and joint certificates, vaccinations, medical records, etc., etc., etc.

I am NOT paying ANYTHING for a 6 week old puppy who hasn't had their vaccinations (you can do them as early as 6 weeks now, with the new vaccines), shouldn't be leaving his/her mother, hasn't actually been looked at by a vet, probably hasn't been fed or socialized properly, and is a mutt.

I don't mind when people take purebred, unregistered dogs who have excellent qualities and are a good example of a breed and do their best to find a purebred, unregistered dog to pair it with provided they raise the pups as though they are the world's most expensive show dogs. I know that not everyone can afford a $1500 puppy. But do you REALLY think that mixing congenital heart defects (Chihuahuas) with respiratory and skin problems (Pug) and calling it a Chipugua is a good idea?

On the flip side of the coin... Breeders! INSIST that potential owners do their research and know what they're getting into before they buy a dog that has a coat that requires an hour of brushing every day or is more stubborn than the proverbial mule. The dogs are the ones that suffer!
sift
sift

Back to top Go down

Post  Desjardo Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:15 am

Chipugua! People are just nuts.....
Desjardo
Desjardo

Back to top Go down

Post  neVar Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:45 pm

i's the designer 'breeds' that get me. ugh can we say irresponsible breeding?

There was a bunch of 'breeds' last week i had never even heard of... let alone the prices they want for them.

nope sorry if i'm paying $1k for a dog- i want health gaurentees (and no just cuz you say you guarentee it doesn't mean you are) pedigree of good hips/eyes etc etc, vet checks done, and first shots done.
neVar
neVar

http://www.RavenwoodTack.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddieCakes Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:24 pm

[quote="neVar"]i's the designer 'breeds' that get me. ugh can we say irresponsible breeding?

There was a bunch of 'breeds' last week i had never even heard of... let alone the prices they want for them.

quote]

LOL! We got Maddie from the SPCA and the people who surrendered her said that she was newfie and to look at her I wouldn't say so! (as soon as i can get her to sit still long enough for a good pic i'll put it on my profile) We jokingly call her our "designer dog", our German Colsky since she looks to be mostly German Shepherd, border collie and a bit of Husky. There might be some black lab in there too. but we figure, if ppl can have labradoodles and maltipoos and shitzypoms that a German Colsky is just fine with us because it's just ridiculous some of the "breeds" people come up with! (Plus it sounds better than Heinz 57!) But she has been spayed and won't be producing any new strange "breeds" any time soon.

As soon as i saw the designer dog thing I just had to poke my head in and say something too. First post and glad to see there is a dog group not just for small dogs. Don't live in Stoon anymore, but spend a lot of time there on weekends with family.

MaddieCakes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum