D.O.G.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rattlesnakes in Southern Sask?

5 posters

Go down

Rattlesnakes in Southern Sask? Empty Rattlesnakes in Southern Sask?

Post  pattymac Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Ok, generally snakes don't scare me, garter snakes and black rat snakes are what we have in this part of Ontario and I've come across plenty of them, no problem!! There are rattlers in Southern Ontario...and only in a fairly small area. So now my Mom says, yes there are rattlers in S. Sask!! Ok now that kinda freaks me out a bit!! So I go and check and it looks like it's a very narrow band along the southern border with the States...I was looking at pics of abandoned railways and they look like perfect places to go walking with Bayley...as long as there are no rattlers!!! Mind you I figure that by the time we get out and get settled all the sensible snakes will have gone underground, so I wouldn't have to worry till next summer some time!!

pattymac

Back to top Go down

Rattlesnakes in Southern Sask? Empty Re: Rattlesnakes in Southern Sask?

Post  Hummingbird Hollow Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Yes I have heard they are here, however being a resident of Regina and area for 45 years I have never ever seen one. Does that make you feel better? I used to ride in the country, help with crops etc. too.
Hummingbird Hollow
Hummingbird Hollow

http://hbhollow.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Desjardo Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:52 pm

I lived in Huronia/Muskoka in Ontario where the majority of Rattlers are found... They are very protected si uif you did see one don't kill it...
I have seen many and they are harmless as snakes go... Most snakes just bite. The rattler will make you aware of it's presence long before you are too close. I am not in to touching or holding snakes but I always thought it was a beautiful snake to look at.
I have also seen dogs find them and it can be interesting. The dogs I know of showed no interest and seemed to know the rattle meant something bad. But I am sure dogs do get bit.
In 29 years of living around them and spending my summers on the lakes(where you will find them) and islands, I have never heard of a bite.
Desjardo
Desjardo

Back to top Go down

Post  neVar Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:57 pm

They tend to be more in the valleys- i know when i lived in med Hat- it was always the valley you worried- up top you were FINE...
neVar
neVar

http://www.RavenwoodTack.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pattymac Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Bayley's sniffed a rat snake and I think it hissed at her and she left it alone! I have a feeling she wouldn't get very close to a rattler if it started rattling!!

pattymac

Back to top Go down

Post  Desjardo Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:36 pm

Wow, no rattle? I have never got within a few feet before rattle.... Woke up camping one time in my boiling tent and had to get out... Jumped out and heard a rattle... Turned around to see a rattler, biggest I ever saw, sitting at my tent door... Not sure why he didn't bite but I am sure it was a lucky one.
I love the way nature works.
Desjardo
Desjardo

Back to top Go down

Post  sift Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:06 am

I tend to view snakes the same way I do all potentially dangerous wildlife (and growing up near a national park, there was lots of it!!)... Know where it likes to be, know where it doesn't, know how to safely remove myself from a situation that involves the wildlife, and NEVER go ANYWHERE unless I'm 110% sure of my dog's recall and command to "Leave it!". Very Happy
sift
sift

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum